Sunday, June 13, 2010

Bienvenu

Welcome to my vegan food blog! I'm really excited! I've been keeping a picture diary of all my vegan creations over the past year and now I decided to turn it into a full blog about my vegan adventures. I will be posting pictures, links, recipes, anything that I come across in my battle to conquer veganism. These are the things that pleasure la lengua de un vegan!

I love languages so if you notice me writing in many language, please don't be discouraged, most of my posts are in English and there is always google translate!! :D

I am going to start posting old pictures with a few of them followed by my recipes. I just don't want to get too bogged down with the past and get this revved up for all my new adventures.

The one thing that I am wanting to explore right now is date sugar. My goal is to get some in the next couple of weeks. 

But, it's extremely expensive, and as a college student (as I will probably remind you often) I sometimes cannot afford everything. And date sugar is about $13 dollars. I really want to move away from refined sugars, even if they are vegan. I have been looking for it in the stores and I have yet to find it in my local co-op. So, I might have to travel up to Kansas City and visit Whole Foods to see if they have it. If not, I'll have to order it off-line. I think it sounds awesome, but I'm just worried about the price. I really like the fact that it is high in fiber and other vitamins and minerals, which is completely different from the horrible, diabetes-inducing refined cane sugar. I have a couple of recipes in my head already formulating to test out the date sugar. Jury's still out, I'll update you on it when I purchase it.

I am very weary of processed and pre-packaged foods sometimes, but I decided to try something I just stumbled upon in my local health foods store when I was looking at hummus. It is a cheddar-style spread made from oats. I was really apprehensive at first. I don't really like the idea of trying to recreate dairy products because oftentimes they are really disgusting; however, I thought that I would give this a try. The packaging and the ingredients really were the selling point. The whole non-GMO oats thing kind of sold me because lately I've been on a "I hate Monsanto!" kick, so I got it. 

I used the spread in a wrap for dinner tonight. The wrap had a chorizo plantain filling (some leftover filling from a previous night's dinner) on top of the hickory cheddar-style spread and some vegan tempeh bacon wrapped in a sprouted tortilla. The spread definitely added a cheesy flavor. I was relieved. Before assembling the wrap, I tasted the spread on its own and was on the fence about the flavor. Luckily it was a success. I don't know if I'd buy it often (it's expensive and nutritional yeast pureed with cashews is just as effective); however, it was surprisingly good.


Hope you enjoyed my first post.  I will post some old favorite recipes soon.




No comments:

Post a Comment