Thursday, July 29, 2010

Leftover Wonders

Recently I have been doing a fair amount of cooking. Which is great, but it means that I have a ton of leftovers. I tend to cook meals meant for 4 people and slowly eat the meal over the week. However, sometimes it gets old real quick. So, I have donned myself as the king of reinventing leftovers. I must say, however, that I hate leftovers. I don't like eating them, but out of a college student's budget, it becomes necessary.

So, if you have been keeping up with my blog, you know some of the recipes I've made over the past week. Well, I'm going off to Saint Louis today and I thought about making a wonderful breakfast to last me throughout the day until I got to STL to have dinner. Also, I needed to get rid of everything out of my refrigerator because I didn't want anything to spoil while I was gone. So this is where the wheels got a-turnin'....

First, let's start with the staple of any breakfast: the waffle/pancake/french toast. I had a leftover banana and some blueberries from my raw vegan ice cream as well as some almond flour from my gluten-free almond cardamom cookies. I decided that today I wanted to do a waffle. So, I mashed up the banana with some sugar and coconut butter. Added a touch of organic, gluten-free vanilla and almond extract. Then added the salt, almond flour, regular unbleached flour, and baking soda. I also needed to use up my vanilla hazelnut rice milk before I left. Therefore, I added that as my liquid. Then I folded in the blueberries. Tah dah! Blueberry almond waffles! I topped them with leftover berry sauce from the cheesecake. I REALLY needed to get rid of that!! So, it worked out perfectly.

Next, I had some tofu that was about to go bad. I also had some spinach pesto left over. Really simply, I made a tofu scramble. After pressing the tofu, I crumbled the tofu in a large skillet with some preheated olive oil. After sauteing for a while, allowing all of the excess water to be evaporated, I added a spice blend that I made. Just some nutritional yeast flake, salt, pepper, a dash of cayenne pepper, table seasoning, and italian seasoning. After a minute or two, I added the spinach pesto, and it was done!

Finally, the best part of the entire meal, I made the hash. I had left over vegan sausage from my biscuits and gravy. Also, I had left over potatoes from my down-home, country-themed dinner. In addition, I had some peppers, red onions and mushrooms left over from our picnic and my tofu croquettes. I simply sauteed the vegetables and sausage, cut up the potatoes a little finer, and added it together. Whew...made the best damn hash I've ever had! It was so good and filling!

Overall, this was the best darn breakfast I've ever eaten!! It is totally diner-worthy, vegan or not. It was full of veggies, various types of proteins, fruits, oils, nuts, and so much flavor! And the kitchen clean-out was a success! I literally have no more leftovers, well, except for breakfast leftovers. But it is one of the most satisfying this is to turn an already creative dish into another.

This morning, la lengua de un vegan is very satisfied!

P.S. I might update about my vegan adventures in Saint Louis. Hopefully, it turns out deliciously! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment