Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Summer, I love thee.

Lately the weather has been extremely beautiful. Well, some would say it has been hot, I say 90 is my favorite temperature. A wave of nostalgia washes over me at the beginning of every summer. I just get these memories of grilling for the family, eating fruit salads, and having strawberry shortcake for dessert. Of course, all of this while sitting under an umbrella with my cat lazily sprawled out on the patio. I never cared about the juxtaposition of a relaxed, privileged dinner in the middle of urban streets of Kansas City. I love to try to recreate this feeling as much as possible. I have really lamented the disappearance of grilled foods. I grew up on grilled shrimp, KC strip steaks, pork tenderloins, and potatoes, charred to crispy deliciousness. Ever since I became a vegan and the desire to have that charred taste back in my mouth as the summer heat waves starts to creep upon us, I have tried to resurrect the tastes and feeling of my upbringing. So, I came up with a meal that is just the start. It combined a refreshing crunch with an herbaceous fruitiness along side a charred, almost-meaty flavor. It sufficed the craving that has been haunting me since the weather took a turn for the better.

What is this meal you may ask. Well, it was a pineapple jicama salad with a coconut lime dressing. Now, it may sound sweet, but it is really a perfect balance between sweet and savory. The jicama created a savory balance to the pineapple. The dressing in and of itself was a harmonious balance between the two tastes. Coconut milk is kind of sweet and coupled with the lime juice, a sweet flavor was created. The balancing flavors came from the garlic, jalapeno, cilantro and salt. The salad was walking the line of perfect. And don't forget, super healthy too. Raw vegan salad that could satisfy anyone.

The wrap was simple. Tamarind and sesame-marinated mushrooms were charred on an indoor cast iron skillet. It caramelized the the sugars in the tamarind and the added agave to create that smokey flavor that was accentuated by the tamari. The mushrooms acted as a meat analogue and satisfied its role as well. Just add some carrots, red bell peppers, and arugula all wrapped in a multi-grain tortilla and you have a delicious wrap.

This meal was able to satisfy the two things that I wanted: a refreshing salad and a charred flavor. This meal was full of flavor, vitamins and minerals, and was practically fat free. And you might be wondering, what's for dessert? Chia almond pudding with walnut cranberry goji berry topping. It too is raw vegan packed full of some of the most amazing nutrients: omega fatty acids, antioxidants, essential minerals, anti-inflammatories , amino acids, cartinoids, and many other micronutrients. It turns out to be a lot like tapioca pudding with many more health benefits.


I hope you enjoyed. I know I did. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment