Monday, August 15, 2011

Summer Adventures Must Come to an End

 This summer has been filled with more cooking and baking than ever before...and my bank account can account for this.

As many of you know, I was asked to cater a wedding. My task was to make around 300 cupcakes with three different flavors. After some consultation with the groom and bride over a delicious vegan lunch a couple months back, I had decided on the flavors. What would everyone be feasting on? Chai-scented cupcakes with a brown sugar buttercream topped with a candied walnut. Originally, this one was my favorite. I just like the spices and, of course, the candied walnut. Also, there was a dark chocolate-blueberry cupcakes with a lemon buttercream. Many people responded with an odd, disapproving expression when hearing about these, but I reassured them that the blueberry would play well with the dark chocolate and the lemon frosting was what was going to set the flavors off---all this with confidence from a person who hadn't tasted chocolate (let alone dark chocolate) in 14 years. And, finally, a orange cupcake with an apricot-raspberry filling with a whipped orange icing. This slowly turned into my favorite. So refreshing.

The week of the wedding was when the fun began. I headed over the grooms house to start baking. After 8 hours of mixing batters, making messes, whipping up frostings we had 25 dozen complete. The day of the wedding, I spent around three hours actually decorating all of the cupcakes. The picture below is how it turned out.
I got so many rave reviews from everyone. Many people came back for seconds and thirds, which of course was the biggest compliment that I could get. Especially knowing that these people were NOT vegans. I got the business cards of the venue space's owner and that of the food caterers. It was hit overall. A lot of work, but definitely an experience I would never want to have missed.
###

Besides baking up vegan cupcakes for my friends' wedding, I have also just been experimenting with different techniques and ingredients. Here are some:

Scallion "chicken" with sesame green beans and orange noodles
Sticky buns
Lemon cheesecake with a blueberry-rose water topping

Also, to make my summer (and my life) even BETTER, I got a Vitamix blender!!! This is a raw vegan's dream!!! So, one of my first dishes I made was for a friend's birthday. They were my raw vegan tacos that you may remember posting about that I won a university-wide competition with. Well, because I had a vitamix, they were even better! Especially since I improved my cheez sauce recipe. 

 



My summer has been amazing, but it's time to go, my cardamom-scented blueberry-peach cobbler is ready! 

No comments:

Post a Comment