Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Eat Me Raw!

Raw Veganism.... to be lazy and to quote Wikipedia...."is a diet which combines veganism and raw foodism. It excludes all food of animal origin, and all food cooked above 48 degrees Celsius (118 degrees Fahrenheit). A raw vegan diet includes raw vegetables and fruits, nuts and nut pastes, grain and legume sprouts, seeds, plant oils, sea vegetables, herbs, and fresh juices.... Sometimes the definition of a raw vegan diet is loosened to include vegan diets with at least 75% raw foods."


Ugh, so many people look at me crazy when I try to explain it. I have been accused of being an elitist and out of my mind. I've been interrogated about my nutrition and my weight. Socialization of meat consumption goes much further than simply being meat-centric in food consumption and completely ostracizing vegetables; moreover, it starts attacking people who choose not to conform, those who think about their health and their earth. The decision to transition to raw veganism has not been without much contemplation. I am starting to introduce raw into my diet now, while slowly removing un-raw foods. After finals, I am going to do an entire raw vegan organic cleanse and adhere to a solely raw diet. 


I don't know how long this will last. As of now, I think of this as a way to get healthier and eliminate ALL processed foods, refine sugars, and gluten. The goal is to become a healthier vegan that actually eats 70% raw at every meal while simultaneously increasing the intake of superfoods and decreasing bad-for-you foods. I will be 100% gluten-free at the end of this as well.


Although veganism is healthier than the standard American carnivore diet, veganism can be unhealthy as well. Consuming exorbitant amounts of soy products, consuming only cooked food, consuming high levels of processed carbohydrates, and sticking to high-gluten meat substitutes. All of these products are detrimental to one's health. 


I recently watched a documentary that pushed me over the raw edge. I learned that our body goes through autoimmune responses (i.e. digestive leukocytosis) when eat a diet comprised of 51% or more cooked food. Also, this documentary elucidated the benefits (and the science) behind vitamins and minerals. In addition to the documentary, my previous knowledge of autoimmune responses to gluten and negative aspects of soy consumption persuaded my decision to change my diet. 


I expect to resume my normal veganism at some point, but it will be all organic (no exceptions), completely non-GMO, gluten-free, and 70-90% raw. There will be no processed foods or foods that contain soy. 


Here is what I have been eating recently. Let me clarify that I understand that somethings might not be 100% raw or may be pasteurized, but this is a transition. 


Lately for breakfast I have been eating Muesli with almond milk along with a banana and some kind of fruit smoothie that is enriched with veggies and a superfood complex. For lunch, I tend to eat some kind of nut mix or raw bar. The Raw Revolution or Larabar bars are my favorite. They are tasty. The Raw Revolution bars are live, certified raw, and have spirulina in them (at least the one I tried does). For dinner, I have been trying to explore the raw aspects of veganism. So the first night I ate Asian broccoli with almonds. Tonight, I tried a new recipe (that I thought up as I was roaming the store): raw vegan tacos. 


Raw Vegan Tacos

Ingredients:
  • head of organic romaine or butter lettuce
  • red pepper hummus
  • 1 organic red onion, mined
  • 2 small organic Haas avocados
  • 2 small organic Roma tomatoes, diced
  • 1 small organic red bell pepper, julienned
  • 1 ear organic corn, decobbed
  • 1 organic lemon
  • 1/3 cup raw, unsalted, organic almonds
  • 1 tsp garlic, minced
  • spices
  • salt, to taste
  • olive oil, cold pressed
Method:
  1. Make the almond meat by blending the almonds, garlic, spices, and oil in a food processor until small chunks like ground beef.
  2. Make the guacamole by putting the avocados in a bowl and smashing them with salt and lemon juice. Add onion, tomatoes, and corn. 
  3. To assemble, take one leaf of lettuce and spread on the hummus. Atop the hummus, spread the chunky guacamole. Top with almond meat and julienned peppers.
  4. ENJOY!
They were definitely delicious and filling. It has protein, omega fatty acids, fiber, and tons of different vitamins and minerals. For dessert I had a banana and these spirulina carob treats. They are so addicting. They are soft, but crunchy with this sweet, fake-chocolately flavor. They are also high in B-vitamins (for energy) as well as vitamin A and E. 

Recently I have been trying other snacks as well like kale chips. I have been wanting to make them, but without a dehydrator it is near impossible.  Luckily my mom is getting me a dehydrator for the Jesus holiday!! I bought these and they were expensive: $5.00 for a small bag. I can make tons more for about a dollar. 

Overall, I am going to give it a try. I want to be healthier and this is going to be my chance to really eat the way I want to eat without sacrificing my profound enjoyment of food. I think once this trial run of raw veganism is over, I will no longer be conforming to labels as a raw foodist or a vegan. I don't think I will really fall into any special category. I will just be healthy. 


We have the option to be in control of our health and our life. This is my decision to be healthy and happy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment