Thursday, December 23, 2010

Raw Creativity

Making the transition to raw has, indeed, been difficult; however, it seems to be easier ever since my "Christmas" present arrived: a dehydrator. The dehydrator really has inspired a lot of creativity. I have been reading continuously about techniques and recipes that are specific to dehydrators. Through this self-education, I have really learned to think more creatively in order to use the culinary techniques with which I am familiar and use them to create raw meals.

All day today I have been making flax crackers for my Christmas meal on Sunday. I am going to make raw hummus to accompany the flax crackers and veggies. Coincidentally, there is a bowl of sprouting brown rice laying on my counter. It was finally tender enough to eat, so I was pondering on how I can eat it. It's towards the end of the week, so my kitchen is fairly empty as I go grocery shopping once a week on weekends, when it dawned on me. I went to the dehydrator and pulled out the not-quite-done flax crackers and cut off a triangle. I used this as a flexible, but fairly cooked taco shell. The sprouted brown rice was then tossed in a tad bit of raw oil, salt, and chili powder. I spread some organic guacamole on taco shell, spooned the brown rice meat atop the spread, and topped it all off with sunflower seeds and diced pickled jalepenos.

The flax crackers are super simple to make, but take a long time to dehydrate. The recipe (that follows) calls for flax seeds, but I didn't have any, so I used flax meal. This makes the texture a tad like a crisp unleavened bread compared to that of a crunchy cracker. Nevertheless, both types work, but the whole flax seeds are recommended.

Flax Seed Crackers/Taco Wrapper

Ingredients:

  • 2 cups golden flax seeds
  • 2 cups water
  • 1/3 cup sun-dried tomato, soaked
  • 1/2 cup baby carrots
  • 1 tbsp salt
Method:
  1. In a large bowl mix the flax seeds and water. Let stand until extremely gloopy and slimy.
  2. In a food processor, blend the sun-dried tomato, baby carrots, and salt until well incorporated and finely chopped.
  3. Once the flax seeds have become a "paste" add to the food processor and pulse until all ingredients are combined. 
  4. Spread the mixture on nonstick sheets of the dehydrator to about a quarter of an inch thick.
  5. Place in dehydrator for 5 hours.
  6. Flip onto a mess screen and dehydrate for 4-6 more hours (until desired crunch is achieved).  
  7. [For the taco shells, I took the cracker out at 7 hours of dehydration]
I hope you all enjoyed this recipe. I came up with this recipe out of necessity and what I had. I did, however, get the inspiration from Ani Phyo's flax cracker recipe (adding other ingredients that I had in my kitchen). I know that I make a lot of vegan and raw vegan tacos. I promise the next raw meal will not be a taco. 

Happy Holidays and Merry Winter to all!

No comments:

Post a Comment